Created by their children, the scholarship is to provide financial support to University of Virginia students who are identified as having a good sense of humor.
Recipients are selected based on three criteria:
- Outstanding Sense of Humor
- Scholastic Merit
- Financial Need
Second- and third-year students are invited to present their own original material at Comedy Knight on Tuesday, February 19, 2019, at Alumni Hall. The event begins at 7:00pm. Spaces are limited!
There will be 3 scholarships awarded, each $2,500—one in each of the following categories:
- Writing—a creative story, tale, article or other form of writing
- Film/Audio—a filmed or recorded comedy act, story, play or routine (up to 3 people may participate in this “project”—scholarship will be divided if selected)
- Stand up—live performance in front of an audience
COACHING AVAILABLE—professors in all three disciplines have offered to meet one-on-one with entrants to serve as mentors and help with the entries. All registrations must be received by January 25, 2019. Coaching will take place between the registration deadline and the performance date on February 19, 2019.
To register for the event as a participant, please complete the registration form by January 25, 2019.
All acts must meet the following criteria:
- You may read a piece of your own writing or perform a stand up act. You may show a film or play an audio recording. All work must be original.
- A maximum of five minutes.
- Your content must not be defamatory or insulting to others based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Humor based on yourself and your own identity is allowed and encouraged.
- Be surprising and creative—push yourself beyond clichéd, foul or vulgar language.
- Props, if any, must be approved prior to the event.
- Spaces are limited, first come, first served.
Please bring your friends. The audience will be asked to select a “crowd” favorite from all the entries.
No walk-ins will be permitted to participate in the competition.Register now!