Created by their children, the scholarship is to provide financial support to University of Virginia students who are identified as having a good sense of humor. Due to COVID, we are unable to host the live event in 2021. However, we know there are numerous comedians in the University community who would enjoy the opportunity of sharing their sense of humor. Our judges are committed to making sure that the show goes on!
Recipients are selected based on three criteria:
- Outstanding Sense of Humor
- Scholastic Merit
- Financial Need
First, second- and third-year students are invited to present their own original material at Comedy Knight. Spaces are limited!
There will be 3 scholarships awarded, each $2,500:
- Writing—a creative story, tale, article or other form of writing
- Film/Audio—a filmed or recorded comedy act, story, play or routine (up to 3 people may participate in this “project”—scholarship will be divided if selected)
- Stand up—taped performance
To register for the event as a participant, please complete the registration form by February 19, 2021.
Rules & Criteria
All acts must meet the following criteria:
- You may record a stand up act, create a film, play an audio recording, or submit your own written piece. All work must be original.
- A maximum of five minutes.
- Your content must not be defamatory or insulting to others based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Humor based on yourself and your own identity is allowed and encouraged.
- Be surprising and creative—push yourself beyond excessive clichéd, foul or vulgar language.
- Spaces are limited.
- No late entries will be permitted to participate in the competition.
- Depending on the number of standup entries, registrants may be asked to submit a 1-minute taped performance for pre-selection. All registrants will be notified after February 19, of their status and the deadline for submitting their final entries.
- All registrants will be notified after February 19, of their status and the deadline for submitting their final entries.