Created by their children, the scholarship is to provide financial support to University of Virginia students who are identified as having a good sense of humor. We plan to host a live event for our standup comedians on February 27, 2023.
Recipients are selected based on three criteria:
- Outstanding Sense of Humor
- Scholastic Merit
- Financial Need
First, second- and third-year students are invited to present their own original material at Comedy Knight. Spaces are limited!
Scholarships will be awarded in the following categories:
- Writing—a creative story, tale, article or other form of writing ($4,000 scholarship)
- Stand up—in front of a live audience ($4,000 scholarship with awards for runners-up)
- Registration Deadline:
- February 3, 2023 — Register Now
- February 10, 2023
- Deadline for Written Entries:
- February 20, 2023
- Live Event:
- February 27, 2023 at Alumni Hall
Rules & Criteria
All acts must meet the following criteria:
- You may perform a stand up act, create a film, play an audio recording, or submit your own written piece. All work must be original.
- A maximum of five minutes.
- Your content must not be defamatory or insulting to others based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or ethnicity. Humor based on yourself and your own identity is allowed and encouraged.
- Be surprising and creative—push yourself beyond excessive clichéd, foul or vulgar language.
- Spaces are limited.
- No late entries will be permitted to participate in the competition.
- Depending on the number of standup entries, registrants may be asked to submit a 1-minute taped performance for pre-selection.
- All registrants will be notified after February 3 of their status and the deadline for submitting their final entries.