Alumni Interest Groups (AIGs) are self-governed communities of UVA alumni bound by a shared UVA affinity or identity and supported by the UVA Alumni Association. AIGs include alumni of UVA sports teams, Greek organizations, student organizations and clubs, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do AIGs do?
AIG activities vary based on the needs and interests of the alumni communities they serve. Initiatives are planned and executed by alumni volunteers with support from the Alumni Association and include events, board meetings, fundraising and scholarship activities, and engagement communications.
What AIG support services does the Alumni Association provide?
- Communications support including:
- Assistance in preparing and maintaining a communications plan
- Electronic and printed newsletter, postcard, and solicitation creation and distribution
- HTML-based email creation and distribution
- Website development and hosting
- Database management
- Event planning resources and guidance on best practices
- Fund management, in coordination with the UVA Fund
- Small-scale event/meeting support including:
- Event communications and marketing support
- Production of printed event materials (name tags, dietary place cards, programs, etc.)
- Registration form creation and management
- Zoom Meeting/Webinar set up and hosting
- Volunteer management support
Is there a cost associated with the Alumni Association’s AIG support services?
Yes, AIGs maintain annual contracts with the Alumni Association that run from July 1 – June 30. Standard AIG contracts for support services are $3,000/year. To learn more about AIG contracts, rates, and options for alumni groups without the financial resources needed to launch an AIG, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many AIGs are there?
The Alumni Association has capacity to support up to 30 AIGs each year. A list of current AIGs can be found here.
What is needed to launch an AIG?
To operate successfully, an AIG needs:
- A team of alumni volunteers to lead the organization and operations in partnership with the Alumni Association
- A body of interested alumni members
- Defined goals for engagement
- Funding to cover the costs of a contract with the Alumni Association, and annual initiatives and activities
- An active UVA Fund account
How can I learn more or ask questions about AIGs?
Contact the Alumni Association at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!