The Rehan Baddeliyanage Memorial Scholarship was established in 2019 to honor the life and legacy of Rehan, a beloved friend and impactful student leader on Grounds. Rehan was a member of the Class of 2019 and studied Biomedical Engineering and Engineering Business. He had many involvements across the University, including Housing and Residence Life, the University Guide Service, and the IMP Society. Above all, Rehan’s vigor for life, love of community, and selfless approach to friendships made him truly special. This scholarship seeks to assist a student who exhibits these qualities in their own life.
The purpose of the Rehan Baddeliyanage Memorial Scholarship is to provide a financial award to a University of Virginia student entering their final year of undergraduate study. This scholarship will be awarded on a merit basis, with consideration for financial need. The Scholarship Committee hopes that this award will help the recipient continue their work as a committed student leader and integral member of their communities. Candidates for this scholarship should exhibit the following traits, which were just a few by which Rehan lived:
- Personal resilience: The recipient should demonstrate courage and resilience in the face of adversity and a determination to make every day count.
- Genuine connection: The recipient should promote genuine connection, friendship, and community. They should demonstrate warm compassion, steadfast loyalty, and reflective wisdom to their friends.
- Mentorship: The recipient should be a devoted leader and trusted mentor in both official and unofficial capacities. They should be inclusive and foster confidence and sincere growth in others.
- Depth of involvement: The recipient should demonstrate a commitment to making the University and the world a better place through their involvements. It is not the breadth of involvement that is required of the recipient – it is the depth.
- Joyous humor: The recipient should live life to the fullest, both through their formal endeavors as well as their personal lives. They should be fun-loving, enthusiastic, and a catalyst for adventure.
The award for the 2023-24 year is $5,000.
DEADLINE: All nominations should be submitted to email@example.com by 5 PM ET on March 20, 2023.
The Scholarship Committee welcomes submissions in any form that reflect how the nominee demonstrates the traits listed above. Nominations will be accepted in all mediums (e.g. letters, videos, oral testimonials, etc.); however, they should take no more than 10 minutes to evaluate. Creativity is welcome! Submissions are accepted from all members of the University community, including self- and peer-nominations. Submissions should include the name and email address of both the applicant/nominee and the nominator(s) (if applicable). Please indicate “(Nominee’s Name) – Nomination 2023” in the subject line.
Any questions can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.