Class Rings have long been a part of the University’s tradition. While these rings act as a way to celebrate our time at UVA and to bind ourselves with the rest of our class, we understand that purchasing one can present a significant financial barrier to many students. As such, Third Year Council is proud to offer a scholarship ring application as an opportunity to make Class Rings more accessible. Applications remain anonymous, and your name and other identifying information will not be provided to the review panel. We encourage all students in financial need to utilize this opportunity to take charge of your tradition.
Rings received through this process, like all other class rings, will be distributed as a part of the Third Year Ceremony, occurring the Friday of Family Weekend. Regardless of whether or not students receive a ring at this time, the ceremony is open to all members of the third-year class and their families to celebrate the halfway point of their UVA experience.
In order to be eligible to receive a ring through this scholarship, students must:
- Be a member of the current third-year class
- On their honor, demonstrate financial need that would otherwise render them unable to purchase a ring through traditional means
- Submit your application online by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, August 15.
- During the following weeks, a panel will review applications and determine recipients.
- A member of the Third Year Council will contact you before August 22 regarding the status of your application and winners will be given further instructions.
If you would like to help fund a ring for a student, you can donate now! The cost of the standard ring from Balfour is $540 for women’s sizing and $740 for men’s sizing. To fully fund a ring, we suggest donation amounts of $585 or $800, to cover the ring cost, taxes, and shipping. However, we will gladly accept other amounts, as we are appreciative of any contribution made.