The University of Virginia Alumni Association is pleased to partner with iRelaunch, the Return to Work Experts, to provide our alumni with a proven and effective online “workbook” to help you transition back to work after a break. Visit this page to learn more!
Some companies offer Returnships: internship-like experiences for experienced candidates who are preparing to reenter the workforce after a career break. To find these opportunities on job boards such as Glassdoor, LinkedIn and Indeed, include “returnship,” “reentry”, or “career reentry” as keywords.
- Career OneStop: Research career information, training and jobs. State and local centers provide in-person resources and support. Sponsored by U.S. Department of Labor.
- My Skills My Future: Find occupations similar to what you’ve done before. Sponsored by U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration.
- O*NET and My Next Move: Occupational reports, search tools and more. Sponsored by U.S. Department of Labor (check both links; My Next Move also has a career interest profiler).
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations. Sponsored by U.S. Department of Labor.
TRAINING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
- Alison: Free online software training.
- Code Academy: Online learning for coding.
- Coursera: Courses taught by academics at accredited universities; free or low cost.
- EdX: Flexible learning from leading institutions.
- GCF Learn Free: Over 125 free tutorials in computers/software.
- Lynda: Hundreds of courses available online (included under LinkedIn Learning for Premium subscribers).
- Microsoft: Helpful tutorials on Microsoft products.
- Udacity: Online courses and nanodegree programs.
- Udemy: Thousands of courses taught by industry experts; flexible learning.
- UVA School of Continuing & Professional Studies (SCPS): Degree and certificate programs.
OTHER HELPFUL SITES:
- FlexProfessionals: Matches companies looking for seasoned part-time employees with career re-entry professionals looking for meaningful part-time work.
- LinkedIn’s alumni tool/dashboard: Find alumni, explore career paths and identify target companies.
- Path Forward: A nonprofit dedicated to helping professionals return to the workforce: website contains articles and advice.
- The Muse: Articles, company info about everything career related.
- U.S. Small Business Administration: Resources for individuals seeking to start small businesses.