If you have been selected for an interview, your resume has successfully demonstrated your qualifications for the job. Congratulations! The next step is to prove in the interview that you can do the job the way the employer wants it done.
Every job is really about solving problems. Succeed in the interview by providing proof of your capabilities and experience that directly relates to solving the employer’s problems and shows your fit for the organization.
Use specific examples of your skills, experience and accomplishments when responding to questions. Specifics provide the evidence of your ability to do the job, and help the interviewer paint a mental picture of how you will solve their problems. Think “for example” each time you respond to a question.
Mock Interview Practice
- Mock Interviews from UVAlumniJOBS: A fantastic online tool available to all UVA alums with a UVAlumniJOBS account.
- Make an appointment with an Alumni Career Engagement (ACE) Advisor to go over your recorded interview.
Interview Tips, Hints, and Instructions
- Friday Forum Webinar Library
- The Inside Scoop: Recruiter Tips to Ace Your Video, Phone and In-Person Interviews
- The In-Person Interview: Success through Effective Communications
- Strategic Interviewing: Becoming the Candidate of Choice
Interview Questions and Answers
- Glass Door: free registration gets you company-specific interview questions.
- Interview Cheat Sheet: A simple but effective worksheet for you to use before an interview (from Career Lab).
- How to Look Good in Skype Interviews: Excellent advice for communicating over a webcam, whether you are having a live conversation or making a video recording.
- Pre-interview Checklist: companion to the video.
Dress for Success
- Quintessential Careers: Fair or not, how you dress makes an impression.