The UVA Alumni Association is excited to celebrate our alumni community in a brand new way during Reunions Remixed, happening online June 9-12! We’re busy planning a fun schedule of virtual events that will bring the hoo-rah-ray to you (think: an update from President Ryan, hearing from memorable faculty and staff, virtual tours of Grounds, and plenty of chances to celebrate what it means to be a Wahoo), but we need your help connecting you with your fellow alumni.
This spring, we ask that you consider hosting a virtual event for your friends or a group of classmates you’ve lost touch with (for example, a Zoom happy hour or get together with your first-year dorm).
Once you sign up to host an event, your class director will email you to provide contact information for your event, and answer any other questions you have.
Until then, take a look at our tips for hosting an engaging virtual event below, and email your class director if you have any questions.
Classes of 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2015, 2016
Classes of 1970, 1971, 1975
Classes of 2010, 2011
Classes of 1960, 1961, 1965, 1966, 1976
Classes of 1980, 1981, 1985, 1986
Classes of 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996
Best practices for a virtual event
- We recommend scheduling your event about 2-3 weeks in advance.
- Get creative with your invitation! Use Evite or Paperless Post for free event scheduling, and you can even track attendance or send reminders.
- Need contact information or help drafting an invitation? Contact your class director (contact information above) and they’ll get you everything you need.
- Make sure to consider time zones and other factors like families with children when scheduling.
- Send a screenshot to firstname.lastname@example.org of your event for a chance to win a gift card to a Charlottesville business!
- Post to your social feeds to get more participation! Make sure to use the hashtags #UVAalumni, #uvareunions, or #wahoowa, and don’t forget to tag the Alumni Association in your post.
- Show off your UVA spirit! Alumni Association Contributing Members get 10% off at the UVA Bookstore. Stock up on swag in advance of your event!
Video meeting platforms
Some may require account set up or have participation limitations. Need assistance setting up a video meeting room or determining which platform is right for you? Contact your class director.
Customize your video background with some fun UVA-themed pictures:
These are just a handful of ideas for fun events. Get creative and share your ideas with us to include here!
Fun & Games
- Kahoot trivia: customizable trivia questions, endless fun!
- Stream a movie together on Teleparty: it synchronizes video playback and adds group chat to streaming platforms like Netflix, Disney, Hulu and HBO.
- Virtual Karaoke on Zoom: For $15, you can host a private group of friends and sing the songs of your undergrad years.
- Paint & sip party: Host a painting party with your friends with help from Charlottesville’s Pikasso Swig, with kits shipping nationwide.
- Stream the sounds of your undergrad years: Create a collaborative Spotify playlist to share with your friends to put on in the background during your event.
Taste of Charlottesville
- Cook a recipe from UVA alumni: Get creative in the kitchen with your friends and have a virtual cook-off featuring one of the recipes submitted by fellow alumni.
- Hella Cocktail kits: Vote on a drink kit to be shipped to your homes from Hella Cocktail Co., owned by Jomaree Pinkard (Col ’01).
- Carryout dinner from the Quirk’s Pink Grouse restaurant: Local alumni can order a delicious meal from Reunions sponsor, The Quirk.
- Feast custom gift boxes: Customize a box with your favorite Cville snacks. Available for local pickup or nationwide shipping. Feast is owned by Kate Collier (Col ’95).
Cavalier Conversation Starters
Need some help with conversation starters to get your small group event going? Here are some fun ways to break the ice with friends you may not have seen in a while.
- When was UVA founded? (1819)
- What was the first year that UVA played VA Tech in Football? (1895)
- The Rotunda’s clock—replaced after the 1895 fire—was designed to be bulletproof. In UVA’s early days, students often used the original clock face for target practice.
- What was the first secret society? (Eli Banana)
- What year were women admitted to all undergraduate schools under full co-education? (1970)
- How long was the Bodo’s on the Corner under construction? (10 years!)
- A dog named Beta was the unofficial mascot in the 1920’s and 1930’s
- Hoo is the longest serving President of UVA? (Edwin A. Alderman, who served 26 years from 1905-1931)
- What is your go-to order for: Bodo’s, Little John’s, the White Spot, Mellow Mushroom?
- Favorite library on Grounds?
- What was your first year dorm?
- How has the Corner changed since you were an undergrad? What about spaces on Grounds?
- Favorite academic building on Grounds?
- Favorite dining hall?
- What professor left a lasting impression on you?
- What was your favorite class when you were an undergrad?