Date & Time
January 20, 2018 @ 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm (reception 12:00 pm to 12:45 pm)
Rotunda Dome Room
1826 University Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22904
The University of Virginia presents an afternoon conversation Envisioning the Future: Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education with world renowned thought leaders.
This Community MLK Celebration event is presented in partnership with the Bicentennial Commission. The University of Virginia’s Bicentennial Commemoration is a celebration of UVA’s achievements, a recognition of the imperfections of its past, and a visualization of its future.
Thomas Farrell, co-chair of the UVA Bicentennial Commission and former Rector of UVA’s Board of Visitors
- David Rubenstein (moderator)
- Derrick Alridge, Professor in the Curry School of Education
- Phyllis Worthy Dawkins, President, Bennett College
- Beverly Wade Hogan, President of Tougaloo College
- Robert C. Pianta, Dean of the Curry School of Education, University of Virginia
- Teresa A. Sullivan, President of the University of Virginia
The theme for the 2018 Community MLK Celebration is “Be the Difference.”
- Parking Information
Parking is avalilable at the Central Grounds Parking Garage for $1 per hour.
Directions to the Central Grounds Garage
Utilize exit 118B off Interstate 64 and travel toward Charlottesville on the 29/250 Bypass. Take the second exit onto Route 250 Business East. Turn right at the top of the exit. Turn right onto Emmet Street (Route 29) at fourth traffic signal, travel 2 blocks, and then turn left into the Central Grounds Garage.
University Transit Service
The Central Grounds Garage is primarily serviced by UTS at the bus stop located on Emmet Street just outside of the garage. Riders may also utilize other UTS routes at stops located along McCormick Road, a short walk from the Bookstore/top level of the garage.
From Emmet Street (ground level of garage)
- Green Route: Service to the Health System, the Emmet/Ivy Garage, and U-Hall
From McCormick Road (short walk from Bookstore level of garage)
- Northline: Service to Hereford College, Emmet/Ivy Garage, U-Hall, North Grounds, and the Barracks Road Shopping Center
- Outer U-Loop: Service to Scott Stadium and the Health System.
- Central Grounds Shuttle: Service to Emmet/Ivy Garage, U-Hall, and Copeley Family Housing
- Colonnade Shuttle: Service to Emmet/Ivy Garage and U-Heights