Thank you for your interest in the Class of 2022 Second Year Council! Click here to view the application. Applications are due by noon on Friday, March 8th.
Class Council members are expected to play a crucial role in the life of their class. More specifically, Second Year Council assists in planning activities for the class, including: social events, Second Year Dinner Series, academic and career events, and other events that address the needs of the Class of 2022. Class Council members are also responsible for attending bi-weekly General Body Meetings and Committee Meetings. Class Council works with the President and Vice President of the Class, as well as advisors from the Alumni Association and the Office of the Dean of Students.
Second Year Council members will be selected based on their ability to represent and network with the Class of 2022. We will seek to have a diverse representation based on: undergraduate school, academic programs, gender, ethnicity/culture, different social communities, and more. In effect, Second Year Council will be expected to actively represent such groups by relaying relevant information to them, encouraging them to participate in second-year events, and generally working to involve their individual communities in the greater community of the Class of 2022.
In order to serve as a Class of 2022 Second Year Council member, students must fulfill specific requirements:
- Applicants must be preparing to graduate from any of the 6 undergraduate schools in the academic year 2021-2022.
- Members are required to attend general body meetings held every 2 weeks (dates TBD), in addition to committee meetings which may occur on a weekly basis.
- Members are also expected to attend and support all Second Year Council-related activities, regardless of the sponsoring committee. It is important to realize that the meetings are not the only time commitments of Second Year Council. The majority of the work is done outside of formal meetings in the planning and implementation of events.
- Finally, in addition to the primary responsibilities outlined above, those selected must also serve on one of the committees below. (Note: Committees may be altered by the Officers as they see fit to meet the needs of the Class.)
- Academic and Career Development: Responsible for planning the professional activities for the class, including publicizing career services for students and planning events which ease members’ transitions into the internship/career/post-graduate environment.
- Community Engagement: Responsible for organizing initiatives that provide opportunities to engage in the Charlottesville community, both through community service and philanthropic events.
- Social and Entertainment: Responsible for planning and organizing numerous small-scale and large-scale diverse activities to entertain and foster unity among members of the Class of 2022.
- Marketing and Communications: Oversees and executes all public relations, advertising, media, and communications directed at the Class of 2022 and the University as a whole.
- Outreach: Responsible for organizing events that target underrepresented groups on Grounds and for creating events that generate spirit for the University and the Class of 2022.
- Dinner Series: Plans four Dinner Series events throughout the academic year to engage faculty and students. Works closely with Council Advisor to secure speakers, choose a caterer, send invitations to classmates/professors, conduct a lottery to choose which students can attend each dinner.
Applications will be come available on Thursday, February 7, 2019. They are due by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, March 8, 2019.
All applicants will be emailed during the week of March 17 regarding their application status. Selected applicants will be interviewed before a final list of Second Year Council Members is announced.
Important Dates to Mark if Selected:
- First SYC Meeting & Dinner: April 1st or April 2nd, Time TBD
- SYC Planning Workshop: Sunday, April 7, 2:00-5:00 p.m.
- Final SYC Meeting: Sunday, April 28, 5:30 p.m.