Thank you for your interest in the Class of 2020 Fourth Year Trustees! Click here to view the application. Applications are due by noon on Friday, March 8th.
Trustees are expected to play a crucial role in the life of their class. Trustees focus on bringing together the graduating class and creating a lasting and permanent affection for the University and the Alumni Association. More specifically, Class Trustees assist in planning activities for the class, including: social events and reunions, graduation activities, career and alumni relations events. Trustees are also responsible for selecting a Valediction speaker, maintaining the Class website, and executing a class giving program. Trustees work with the President and Vice President of the class, as well as advisors from the Alumni Association and the Office of the Dean of Students.
Trustees will be selected based on their ability to represent and network with the Class of 2020. Diversity within the Trustee body will be a priority. Previous leadership positions are not as important as the ability and willingness to communicate with different and varied groups of classmates. We will seek to have a diverse representation based on: undergraduate school, academic programs, gender, ethnicity/culture, and different social communities. In effect, Trustees will be expected to actively represent such groups by relaying relevant information to them, encouraging them to participate in Fourth-year events, and generally working to involve their individual communities in the greater community of the Class of 2020.
In order to serve as a Class of 2020 Trustee, students must fulfill specific requirements:
- Applicants must be preparing to graduate from any of the 6 undergraduate schools in the academic year 2019-2020.
- Every Trustee commits to serve for six years: 2019-2020, and the 5 years following graduation.
- Trustees are required to attend general body meetings held every 2 weeks (dates TBD) while they are students, in addition to committee meetings which may occur on a weekly basis.
- Trustees are expected to attend and support all Trustee-related activities, regardless of the sponsoring committee. It is important to realize that the meetings are not the only time commitments of Trustees. The majority of the work is done outside of formal meetings in the planning and implementation of events.
- All Trustees are also required to solicit donations for the class giving campaign.
- Trustees will be required to work 2019 Graduation Weekend, May 17-19. If you are abroad or will have already started an internship or summer program, you will be excused from helping with Graduation Weekend.
- Finally, in addition to the primary responsibilities outlined above, those selected must also serve on one of the committees below. (Note: Committees may be altered by the Officers as they see fit to meet the needs of the Class.)
- Careers and Alumni Relations: Responsible for planning the professional activities for the class, including publicizing career services for students and planning events to ease members’ transitions into the career/post-graduate environment.
- Class Giving: Responsible for organizing a marketing strategy to motivate a record number of people to participate in the Class Giving Program. Publicize and cultivate support for the Giving Program throughout the Class, and organize events to increase participation.
- Entertainment: Responsible for planning and organizing numerous and diverse activities to entertain and foster unity among members of the Class of 2020.
- Big Events: Responsible for planning large-scale social events designed to foster class identity and fun for the Class of 2020.
- Graduation: Plan and organize the valediction ceremonies and related events. Select the Valediction Speaker. Work with University administration to ensure the Class of 2020 has an adequate voice in graduation concerns.
- Outreach: Responsible for planning events that reach smaller niches of the class, be that through co-sponsoring an event with CIOs or devising creative event ideas.
- Wellness: Responsible for planning programs and events that promote health and well-being.
Applications may be submitted online (https://alumni.virginia.edu/class-school/class-council-trustee-applications/) by 12:00 noon on Friday, March 8, 2019.
All applicants will be emailed during the week of March 17 regarding their application status. Selected applicants will be interviewed before a final list of Class Trustees is announced. Committee chair interviews will run concurrently.
Important Dates to Mark if Selected:
- First 2020 Trustees Meeting: Thursday, March 28, Time TBD
- Trustees Planning Workshop: Sunday, April 7, 2:00-5:00 p.m.
- Final 2020 Trustees Meeting of Spring 2019 Semester: Sunday, April 28 (Time TBD)
- Graduation Weekend 2019 (all Trustees are required to attend): May 17-19