Class Council members are expected to play a crucial role in the life of their class. More specifically, Second-Year Council assists in planning activities for the class, including: social events, Second-Year Dinner Series, academic and career events, and other events that address the needs of the Class of 2023. Class Council members are also responsible for attending bi-weekly General Body Meetings and Committee Meetings. Class Council works with the President and Vice President of the Class, as well as advisors from the Alumni Association and the Office of the Dean of Students.
Second-Year Council members will be selected based on their ability to represent and network with the Class of 2023. We will seek to have a diverse representation based on: undergraduate school, academic programs, gender, ethnicity/culture, different social communities, and more. In effect, Second-Year Council will be expected to actively represent such groups by relaying relevant information to them, encouraging them to participate in second-year events, and generally working to involve their individual communities in the greater community of the Class of 2023.
In order to serve as a Class of 2023 Second-Year Council member, students must fulfill specific requirements:
- Applicants must be preparing to graduate from any of the undergraduate schools in the academic year 2022–2023.
- Members are required to attend general body meetings held every 2 weeks (dates TBD), in addition to committee meetings which may occur on a weekly basis.
- Members are also expected to attend and support all Second-Year Council-related activities, regardless of the sponsoring committee. It is important to realize that the meetings are not the only time commitments of Second-Year Council. The majority of the work is done outside of formal meetings in the planning and implementation of events.
- Finally, in addition to the primary responsibilities outlined above, those selected must also serve on one of the committees below. (Note: Committees may be altered by the Officers as they see fit to meet the needs of the Class.)
- Academic & Career Development: Responsible for planning the professional activities for the class, including publicizing career services for students and planning events which ease members’ transitions into the internship/career/post-graduate environment.
- Community Engagement: Responsible for organizing initiatives that provide opportunities to engage in the Charlottesville community, both through community service and philanthropic events.
- Social & Entertainment: Responsible for planning and organizing numerous small-scale and large-scale diverse activities to entertain and foster unity among members of the Class of 2023.
- Marketing & Communications: Oversees and executes all public relations, advertising, media, and communications directed at the Class of 2023 and the University as a whole.
- Outreach: Responsible for organizing events that target underrepresented groups on Grounds and for creating events that generate spirit for the University and the Class of 2023.
- Dinner Series: Plans four Dinner Series events throughout the academic year to engage faculty and students. Works closely with Council Advisor to secure speakers, choose a caterer, send invitations to classmates/professors, conduct a lottery to choose which students can attend each dinner.
- Submit your application online by noon on Wednesday, March 4th. (The application will become available at the bottom of this page on February 4th).
- Applications will be read by the newly elected officers during Spring Break.
- Applicants will be contacted by email during the week of March 15th regarding their application status.
- Selected applicants will be interviewed before a final list of Third Year Council members is announced.
Important Dates to Mark if Selected:
- SYC’s First Meeting: TBD (will be between March 29th–April 2nd, in the evening)
- Class Council Workshop: Sunday, April 5th, 2:00–5:00 p.m.
- SYC’s Final Meeting: Sunday, April 26th, 5:00–6:00 p.m.
(Applications open on February 4th)