How you approach your job search depends on the purpose for your search. What are your goals? Are you looking for advancement? Have you been laid off and timing is a factor? Are you a career changer looking for that first crossover job? Your strategy will likely combine both response-based and proactive job search approaches.
Response-based Job Search
- Focus on applying to jobs that have been publicly posted
- The openings are current
- You lack insight information about the company or position
- It is difficult to stand out from the competition if you have no connections within the organization.
- Get Started:
- Find a job opening
- Use your network and background research to understand the employer’s problems and how you can solve them
- Use your network to see if you can find someone within the organization who can refer you
- Use your findings to create a TARGETED resume and cover letter