Career advising appointments may be used to discuss your application strategy or for review of your résumé and personal statement or essay(s).
We review graduate school résumés, essays, and personal statements as part of our advising services. Document reviews require a preliminary advising appointment to discuss your goals and experience, and they provide the reviewer with additional context about your application. Your documents are then read and critiqued offline during a separate appointment slot, with feedback provided by email.
Please visit UVAlumniJOBS to schedule your preliminary advising session. After (or during) your first advising session, your advisor will direct you to schedule your document review(s) in the system. Please note the following requirements and limitations for document reviews:
- Advisors can review up to 2-3 500+ word essays per client per application season, with 1 second read per essay (after edits) if needed; and up to 2 250 word essays.
- Allow 1 advising appointment per 500 words for essays and 1 appointment per 1-2 pages for résumés and CVs, with a maximum of 2 advising appointments per client per week. Résumés or CVs longer than 2 pages may require an additional appointment(s).
- Clients may have up to 2 upcoming appointments in the system at one time; more can be scheduled as others are completed.
- Documents must be submitted in MSWord and essays/personal statements must include the prompt and formatting instructions.
- Documents are reviewed offline; the reviewer provides feedback via email.