Created by their children, the scholarship is to provide financial support to University of Virginia students who are identified as having a good sense of humor.
Recipients are selected based on three criteria:
- Outstanding Sense of Humor
- Scholastic Merit
- Financial Need
Second- and third-year students are invited to present their own original material at Comedy Knight on Tuesday, February 21, 2017, at Alumni Hall. The event begins at 5:30pm. Spaces are limited!
A panel of distinguished judges will rate each performance and at the end of the evening, the winning participant will be awarded a $3,500 scholarship for the 2017–18 academic year. One runner-up will receive a $1,500 scholarship for the 2017–18 academic year.
All acts must meet the following criteria:
- You may read a piece of your own writing or perform a stand up act. All work must be original.
- A maximum of five minutes
- Your content must not be defamatory or insulting to others based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity or political affiliation. Humor based on yourself and your own identity is allowed and encouraged.
- Be surprising and creative—push yourself beyond clichéd foul or vulgar language.
- Props, if any, must be approved prior to the event.
- Only 10 spaces are available.
To register for the event as a participant, please complete the registration form by February 15, 2017. No walk-ins will be permitted to participate in the competition. Registration is not required to attend, but the audience will be limited to 200 people on a first-come, first-served basis. Food will be provided. Please bring your friends!Register now!