The University of Virginia Alumni site and all content on alumni.virginia.edu are a product of the University of Virginia Alumni Association. However, the opinions expressed within the comments reflect solely the opinion of the participants. As members of the extended University community, users are expected to adhere to the University’s Information Technology and Communication Policies, the guidelines set forth in the University’s Ethics in Computer Usage policy, and to conduct themselves within the spirit of the Honor System.
We reserve the right to discontinue any or all online services at any time or to revise the terms and policies of this agreement.
By using alumni.virginia.edu, you agree not to post:
- Personal attacks or insults, hate speech, or harassment.
- Posts with the intention of eliciting negative responses, or posts with the clear intention of annoying or offending other users.
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation or publicity.
- Material that slanders, abuses or threatens others.
- Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images. This includes the use of substitute symbols (for instance, “a$$” and “*ss” are considered obscene).
- Communications that violate or incite others to violate the law or communications that discuss illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- Unauthorized copyrighted material.
- Communications that could be confused with official communications of the University or Alumni Association.
- Posts which are deemed inappropriate by staff.
Any user posting on alumni.virginia.edu is implicitly agreeing to these rules, regardless of whether they have been read or not.
Violations & Penalties
Monitoring Comments & Reporting Abuse
The U.Va. Alumni Association is not responsible for screening communications or postings, and cannot actively monitor comments at all times. However, the Association reserves the right to reorganize or delete any postings or communications at its discretion. Conversations that have been inactive for a month or more will typically be archived and no longer displayed publicly. The Alumni Association expects community members to exhibit the same level of respect for others in this forum as in any other University-related venue. Please report any abuses or misuse by sending an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia Alumni Association has taken all reasonable precautions to secure your personal information. Your email address and other personal information is protected by the University, and it will never be sold or used in a manner not explicitly allowed by you. If your email address is requested in any of our online forms, it is simply to enable us to communicate with you if a response is requested, and to prevent abuse of our site. Alumni.virginia.edu securely incorporates the latest encryption technology.